The Social Justice and Equity Council (SJEC) is a CSSA council that exists to advance the development of programs and policies that advance social justice and equity within the California State University (CSU) System.
It is the mission of the council to undertake progressive efforts to promote social justice and equity multiculturalism through education, communication and action on the local and system levels.
The purpose of the Social Justice and Equity Council (SJEC) is to:
- Ensure access, retention and quality of education for all underrepresented or historically marginalized communities within the CSU System.
- The council also works to ensure advocacy and outreach for the agenda of the SJEC.
- To ensure that the operation of the Board of Trustees, CSU Chancellor’s Office, State Legislature, CSSA, and all other pertinent public higher education policy-making entities act with a commitment to social justice and equity.
- To actively encourage the involvement of all CSU Campuses in the council.
- To ensure the support and/or development of social justice centers, multicultural centers, and centers focused on underrepresented or historically marginalized communities throughout the CSU System.