- The single recognized voice for over 450,000 students attending the California State University system.
- The acknowledged statewide student organization representing, serving and protecting the collective interests of CSU students.
- Recognized in the California Education Code as the official representative of CSU students.
CSSA Representatives serve to represent the collective interest of students to the CSU Board of Trustees, governor, state legislature and the public.
- The membership of the CSSA is all students of the CSU. Those students are represented at the CSSA by the recognized Associated Students Organization from each of the CSU campuses (two representatives per campus, the Associated Students President and one additional representative).
- Each student of the CSU shall have the ability to become a delegate or officer of CSSA in adherence with the requirements of the policies of their respective campus' Associated Student Organization.